- This event has passed.
Mini-Seminar! Breastfeeding and Postpartum Mood Disorders: Milk, Tears, & Hope
August 5, 2017 @ 8:00 am - 12:45 pm| $60 – $65
Saturday, August 5, 2017
0730-0800 Registration and Continental Breakfast
0800-0815 Welcome and Introduction, Kim Speckhahn, President, SDCBC
0815-0900 PMADs 101: Introduction to Perinatal Mood & Anxiety Disorders & Finding Help, Beth Warren, LCSW, President Postpartum Health Alliance, SD
0900-0945 Treatment for Postpartum Anxiety & Depression: What Healthcare Providers Need to Know When Mom is Breastfeeding, My Hanh (Theresa) Nguyen, MSN, PMHNP-BC, Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner, UCSD Health
0945-1000 Panel Discussion/Q & A
1015-1100 Medications for Perinatal Mood Disorders During Breastfeeding: What Works and What Doesn’t, Jason Sauberan, PharmD, Sharp HealthCare
1100-1145 Supporting a Breastfeeding Mother with Postpartum Depression or Anxiety. Rose deVigne-Jackiewicz, RN, MPH, IBCLC, Kaiser
1145-1200 Panel Discussion/Q & A
1200-1230 Documentary Commentary: “The Dark Side of the Full Moon” & “Dancing Without You” & “When the Bough Breaks” Jessica Furland, MSW, ASW, UCSD
1230-1245 Conclusions and Evaluation, Kim Speckhahn, President, SDCBC
At the conclusion of this seminar the participant should be able to:
1. Utilize the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Screen (EPDS) and refer high-risk patients to maternal mental health experts.
2. Describe treatment options for a breastfeeding mother identified with postpartum depression and/or anxiety.
3. List 3 commonly used medications for treating maternal mood disorders in the breastfeeding mother.
4. Explain both the protective role of breastfeeding and the risks that breastfeeding poses for the breastfeeding mother identified with postpartum mood disorder.
5. Employ messages to all mothers experiencing PMADs symptoms: “You are not alone. You are not to blame. With help, you will be well.”