Healthy Families…Strong Communities…Bright Futures
CWA Legislative Action Alert
September 5, 2012
URGENT! LETTERS NEEDED BY SEPTEMBER 14th
in support of
AB 2386 (Allen):
AB 2386 has made it through the Legislature and is now waiting on the desk of Governor Jerry Brown! The fight is not over yet- we need your help to encourage Governor Brown to SIGN THIS BILL!
CWA- sponsored legislation, AB 2386, authored by Assemblymember Michael Allen, has made it to the desk of Governor Brown, and we need your help telling Governor Brown how important and essential this bill is! Please send in a letter of support to Governor Brown by FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 14th.
Please fax or mail your letter to the office of Governor Jerry Brown. The template letter can be found here – it is addressed and ready to go; all you need to do is personalize it! Please remember to fax a copy to CWA and Assemblymember Allen’s office as well.
What the Bill Does
- Makes it unlawful under the California Fair Employment and Housing Act to discriminate against women for breastfeeding.
- Under existing law is it unlawful to discriminate on the basis of sex, which includes gender, pregnancy, childbirth and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.
- This bill would provide that the term “sex” includes breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeeding, for purposes of this act.
Why the Bill is Needed
- It will not only make it unlawful to discriminate for breastfeeding, but it will be a step toward changing the culture to be more accepting of breastfeeding as the normal way to feed babies, protecting the civil right of mothers and babies to breastfeed.
- Breastfeeding is universally recognized as a low-cost intervention that protects the health of mothers and babies while reducing health care costs.
- In California an impressive 90 percent of mothers begin to breastfeed in the hospital.
- As a society we have a responsibility to support mothers’ decision to breastfeed and take all necessary steps to reduce barriers to breastfeeding in order that mothers can provide babies with the best nutrition.
ACT TODAY! Thank you for your help!
Questions? Contact Donna Hoffman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 530-750-2280.
California WIC Association | 1490 Drew Avenue, Suite 175| Davis, CA 95618|
Phone: 530-750-2280 | www.calwic.org